Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I Hope You Dance

During the rarity of spare time I have in my life, I found myself sitting on Ocean Beach in San Francisco. This beach is located in the Outer Sunset District of the city, as far west as you can go as I like to say. For the first year I lived in San Francisco, I lived just three blocks from Ocean Beach and visited it regularly. Whether it was running five miles or just sitting listening to the waves crash, I found a sense of relief. I haven't been back in a few months, which makes me realize that it had been a little too long.

If you were to talk to my close friends, they'd tell you I'm terrified of the ocean. And for that matter, I'm not a big fan of the sand. I just hate the way it sticks to you and it never seems to escape your body. But, for the year I lived by the beach, it made me realize and see changes in myself I never thought possible. I guess you could say the beach is a giant metaphor of my experience in California.

Each time I visit the beach no matter if I run or sit, I always listen to Lee Ann Womack's 'I Hope You Dance'. If you're in need of an inspirational song in your life, that's the one I recommend. The song is about taking chances, something I've learned in my last year and a half. For example, visiting a place like the beach on a weekly basis even though it scares me. 

Moving out was scary, I won't deny it. So if you're from out of state or even down in SoCal and looking into this program up in the Bay Area, it'll be scary. But, the good news is, you're not the only one. As cliché as it sounds, the lyrics definitely describe everything I've been in taught from USF.

And in case you don't listen to the song, here's a few verses:

- - I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance / Never settle for the path of least resistance / Livin' might mean takin' chances but they're worth takin'

I hope you dance / Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along / Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean / Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens - -

First of all, there are a lot of mountains in the distance. I'm from Texas, the best mountain we have is made out of concrete and windows in the heart of downtown Dallas and it's not as scenic as the ones out here. 

The path of least resistance. Now that is a huge lesson you'll learn at USF. The first class you'll take with Dr. Cellini will remind you over and over again to get out of your comfort zone and to be different. There's a reason people you work with stay at the same position for years, they don't get out of their flow. Be different.

Taking chances that are worth taking. If I had the opportunity to go back and do it all again, hands down I would. Maybe I'm biased in the sense that I have come to like moving and experiencing new things, but that's something this program has done for me. Overall, this chance is worth taking. I'm 22 years-old, have worked in over five sport organizations and made so many connections, if not friends, along the way. I know they say life after undergrad is different, but they didn't tell me how much fun I'd be having too!

Time is always rolling. I think that sums up my last 5 days and the next 5 days coming up. In the last five days I've ran a half marathon, went to a country concert, worked a Warriors game with the PR team, and worked my day job at Pac-12 Networks. In the next five days, I'll work both Pac-12 men's and women's basketball media days, go to Arkansas for homecoming weekend and be back to work at Pac-12 Networks on Monday. And if you're wondering if I sleep, the answer is yes. I'm sort of like the human energizer bunny so not that much sleep is required.


Doors opening. With this program, doors are constantly being opened. I can guarantee there's someone from USF at each sport entity in the Bay Area, you'll always have some sort of connection. With that being said, finding a foot in the door isn't as hard as you may think, but it definitely takes a little bit more to get a job or internship than just having USF next to your name. For example, with my new position with the Warriors, a classmate in cohort 41 who is interested in basketball and PR was looking for an opportunity to fill the downtime he had during his weeks. I was able to help him get in contact with the Warriors.


So, when I'm sitting at the beach and listening to this song I picture my whirlwind of a time I've had in San Francisco. My experience here can definitely resemble a wave, always moving quickly. I've learned that the amount of effort I put into jobs and connections will only help what I get out of this program. And if Lee Ann Womack ever asks, you can tell her I've been dancing during my time at USF.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the useful information to my vision. This is excellent information,.
    flap barriers
    boom barriers

    ReplyDelete